12826847

My husband and I moved into a new house 2 weeks ago. After a

Customer Question

My husband and I moved into a new house 2 weeks ago. After a week we realised that the entire place was infested with fleas (we don't have a pet but the previous tenant had a cat). We see them on the bedroom carpets, on the bed and even in the living room. I have 50+ itching flea bites. The letting agent will send the pest control around early next week. We had to move into a hotel yesterday night because the fleas are unbearable, they're everywhere and we're covered in bites! In the contract it says the tenant is responsible for pests during tenancy but surely this doesn't apply when we just moved in. The agent even told us they didn't fumigate the house after the previous tenant left. My question: what rights do we have? We do not want to pay rent until this is fully resolved as the property was rendered uninhabitable. Can we cease to pay rent until we're sure that the fleas are gone? If they don't get fully rid of the fleas, is it possible to break the tenancy agreement rather than having to occupy the place for 6 months (as per our contract)? The agent told us we won't get compensation for the hotel and have to pay the rent in full. Thank you for your help!
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is the cost of getting the place fumigated please?