How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34234
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am a British citizen who emigrated to New Zealand in 2008.

Customer Question

I am a British citizen who emigrated to New Zealand in 2008. I came to UK in 2015 with my two children( one was born in UK and the other was born in NZ) to visit my mother. I had been diagnosed with a life threatening disease whilst in NZ and whilst on holiday in the UK I had a relapse. Consequently I was a very sick woman and was unable to travel back to NZ at my designated time; It is only now over a year after my arrival that there is a little stability to my health, but I am still undergoing intensive treatment.
So here is the problem my son traveled to UK on a NZ passport, stamped for 6 months. Due to everything that we were going through this has not been renewed. I have no idea what to do next. My son is 5 years old, is attending school and is settled here.
I have been told that I can get Britsh citizenship for him, then apply for a britsh passport. (We would like to travel in Dec depending on my health) or is there a type of visa I can get for him? Then apply for citizenship.
I anxiously await your reply.
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 12 months ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I'm happy to wait as I do need a idea of my next steps. Please keep me updated.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 12 months ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  Clare replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you bit I need some further information first

Are you still a British citizen?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 12 months ago.

Were you born in the Uk?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I was
Expert:  Clare replied 12 months ago.

Then your child is entitled to a British Passport and all you need to do is apply for one in the usual way

The form is here

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your advice and the link.
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

You are most welcome I hope all goes well