29905560

Went to buy a used car at Stafford chose the car Ford Focus

Customer Question

Went to buy a used car at ***** ***** Stafford chose the car Ford Focus got finance put in my name told sales man on several occasions will be my wife that will be driver , I don't have a license took my old car off me then after we got home the following day lots of missed phone calls got told that the finance company had changed there minds because should be in my wife's name this is after having to change insurance at a cost of £39 to change then told we have to take it back because will not do the finance in my wife's name we then will have to change the insurance again back to the original one at further cost plus did check to make sure the car had not been involved in a accident cost of £14 this is not all we live in Lancaster which is approx 2 hours away and cost of fuel is about £25 each time we have had to go not to mention all the upset to my wife this does not seem fair as we have to take it back ,I don't think this is treating us fairly we did nothing wrong and the sales man was upset his self about the matter and admitted it was their fault ,please advise what can I do
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

So to confirm, the dealer has been organising and rearranging the finance? What reason was provided for changing the name to your wife's name and then back again?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The reason they gave was that I did not have a licence but the sales man knew this as we told him it would be my wife he then asked to see her licence and documents which we provided he then went and got more documents to sign and at no time did he mention about any problem he the gave us the keys showed my wife how to use some of the controls and waved us off
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not responded to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your patience. To be honest I do not understand why they are so worried about this because it does not matter who the driver of the car is – that does not mean someone else cannot be the one who takes out finance on it or is the legal owner or purchaser. It is not a legal requirement to hold a licence or be named as a driver on a car to be able to buy it – imagine how many people buy cars as presents and may not have a licence or ever drive that car. It could of course be a condition of the finance that they provide so you need to check if that is the case but it is certainly not a legal requirement.

So all this messing around appears unnecessary in the circumstances, especially as they have admitted it was their fault. If you have incurred additional expenses from this then I suggest you make a formal complaint with the dealer to try and get compensated for them. If they refuse to resolve any of this then you can consider taking more formal legal action but only do this if you are completely adamant that you want to do so as it should only be used as a last resort.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the formal steps you need to follow if you wanted to take this further, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for a very fast response it puts our minds at rest that we have done nothing wrong
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just found out DVLA are closed and they have canceled tax on our old car if we take there car back we will not be taxed so the car will not be legal what can we do
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

you can tax a vehicle online if needed so you can arrange car tax with immediate effect if you have to do so