Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

I have a 4.5 acre field and have been letting someone use it

I have a 4.5 acre field and have been letting someone use it to rear some quail and keep laying hens. He recently agreed to "move on" because other people were becoming involved and he did not want to get involved in a shared agricultural scheme. Also he and his brother were making some money doing house clearances but were accumulating junk and rubbish. The planning department also wrote to me following a complaint about the three caravans and general rubbish and non agricultural materials in the field. Recently he has become hostile, burnt down his caravans and taken his poultry and items of value but left his rubbish. I gave in notice to leave and started to clear the field myself but now he want's money for the scrap metal I have cleared. Following the burning of caravans and threat to give him money I gave him two weeks notice. He responded by dumping more rubbish. I have contacted the police and they say it is a civil matter and have advised me to seek legal advice and right to him via recorded delivery to clarify that he no longer has access to the field or my property. I asked him to return his padlock key. He would have received the letter in the last 2 days. Today he has entered my field, dumped more rubbish and taken the padlock.
What can I do to
1) Stop him and his friends going to the field.
2) recover my costs of clearing the fields
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 28 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Have you reported the rubbish dumping to the council please?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
The police have been down the field with me this afternoon. They said that as it is not public land the Council will not be able to help.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 28 days ago.

It's fly tipping. You can get a solicitor to write and ask him to remove it, stop doing it or give you the cost of removal.

If he refuses you can issue proceedings using form n1

The court will list the matter for hearing and decide whether to give you compensation and to stop him doing this.

If the court makes the order and he breaches it. This could be contempt of court which he can be warned, fined or sent to prison.

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Thank you. That is very helpful.