Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

The executors I referred to in my previous question have

The executors I referred to in my previous question have made a payment of £11,135.73 to the carer who looked after my mother-in-law until she died. They say it was a payment as agreed in a contract they had with her but refuse to give details of the contract saying it is confidential. Are they allowed to withhold this information?
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 10 months ago.

I assume you are a beneficiary of the estate.

The Executors will have to produce an estate account showing what the assets and liabilities in the estate are but they do not have to produce documentary evidence of the amount, such as the contract .

It is possible to apply to a court for an order for production but you must have grounds for making such an application such a suspected fraud.

Best regards

Michael

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your answer. It seems that the amount paid is very high since the carer worked 30 hours/week and the average pay for care workers is £8/hour. I've asked if it includes an ex gratia payment but they won't say. I know at one time the carer only wanted to be paid cash-in-hand to avoid paying income tax. Would that be grounds for applying to the court?Regards,
David Braby