Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I need to talk about my divorce in 2000. My solicitor did

Customer Question

I need to talk about my divorce in 2000. My solicitor did not advise me that that pension laws were changing and I now do not have a claim on my ex-husband. The divorce proceedings took over 2 years to complete and the pension laws changed just a few months later. We could have easily delayed my divorce so that the new laws applied to me. We were married from july 1987 to sep 2000 and I divorced him on adultery grounds. We had put maximum amounts in to his fund/s whilst we were abroad whilst I had babies and took care of the home. Divorce online looked at this for me but as my ex won't give his permission for his pension values to be looked at, they could not help. Where do I go to get what i am entitled to?
Expert:  Harris replied 12 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Was there a financial settlement approved by the court as part of the divorce and have you remarried?

Expert:  Harris replied 12 months ago.

Hi, this question remains open. Please could you provide the requested information so that I can assist you.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
there was a small financial settlement and no I have re-married..
Expert:  Harris replied 12 months ago.

Was it approved by the court and does it have a clause that states neither of you are entitled to apply against the assets/pensions/property etc of the other?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
the financial settlement was small considering the amount he earned whilst together, just £20k and his earning were in excess of £172K per year. I have not remarried at all. I have very little pension from before we married and after the divorce I got a part-time job with a no small pension. The 13 years of marriage, where I left my employment to move abroad to support my husband and his career, I have absolutely nothing to show for it whilst we invested maximum we could in to his pension with a view of retiring early as a couple. He did retire a couple of years ago at 51 years old but has since returned to work as he got bored and has 2 more children from 2 other women to support as well as his 3 houses.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
i have a list of pensions -some with account numbers that i wrote down before we split. He used to handle all the finances for us as a couple and kept it all very close to his chest. My solicitor told me that he was very clever at hiding his asserts and she struggled to get any straight answers from him. She believed that he hid money overseas but could not prove it. His arrogance at saying that he will not have dealings with her as she is of lower intelligence than him, shows just how rude and calculating he is. He refused to help me and Divorce Lifeline look back to see if a have a valid claim to ease my dyer situation.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
it was a settlement made via Brighton County Court but I have no idea about any clause. My issue is more that i was advised that the pension law was changing for ex wives to have a right to claim half. If I was advised then i would have delayed my divorce. a company from Divorce Lifeline tried to sue on my behalf but needed my ex to sign giving them the right to look at his pensions values and he refused point blank. Is there any other way to do this ?
Expert:  Harris replied 12 months ago.

It is essential that you look at the financial order, as it is more likely than not that the order states that, save for the settlement in the order, neither of you would be able to claim against any assets, pensions or properties that are in the other's name and it would stand as a final settlement and unless you can prove that there was fraud, misrepresentation or dishonesty by him that, if it were disclosed, would have led to a materially different outcome.

I appreciate that this may not be the answer you would have hoped for but if you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.

Expert:  Harris replied 11 months ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.