JG_Legal
JG_Legal, Barrister
Experience:  Experience of consumer law, financial regulation and criminal law.
79731440

I was made the subject of a ten year SOPO in 2007. My

I was made the subject of a ten year SOPO in 2007. My sentence was 6 months imprisonment, suspended for two years.
According to Unlock.org.uk, if a person receives a sentence of "6 months or less" then the length of the SOPO should be 7 years.
My question is this; does the two year suspension period "count" towards my sentence. ie, was my sentence 6 months, or 30 months? (6 months + 2yrs suspended).
Expert:  JG_Legal replied 1 year ago.

No, its the custodial sentence your recieve i.e. the 6 months. The suspension period does not count. I think you are looking at the noticification requirements (sex offender register) time frames when you say 6 months or less should be 7 years.

If this anwers your question, please rate me. Unless you require clarification.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I'm still confused. I'm on the register for ten years, and the sopo is ten years also. But as my sentence was 6 months, shouldn't the sopo be 7 years?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/convictions-sexual-offences-2/The blue table approx 1/3 down on the page.
Expert:  replied 1 year ago.

What were you convicted of?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forget the name of the actual offense, but I had some indecent pictures of minors on my computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As my sentence was 6 months, shouldn't the SOR and SOPO both be 7 years instead of 10? That's what I'm trying to get at.