Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I recently signed a 6 month rent agreement on 24th August.

Customer Question

I recently signed a 6 month rent agreement on 24th August. Upon starting to move into property some unsealed asbestos was found under floorboard which was completely loose. I called a company to get expert advice and they came round surveyed sampled and gave me report saying it was asbestos. I went to letting agent 5th September and let them know that I didn't want to stay in place where asbestos was. She spoke to landlady we all agreed I could surrender tenancy. I moved all stuff out having never spent a single night at property and letting agent cancelled council tax etc. Now it's still ongoing. They won't let me give keys back until she has spoken to asbestos company checked property and she was talking about making me sign a disclaimer which she has now changed her mind about. Trouble is she is taking so long with everything I my next rent payment is due. I'm not sure what to do. Letting agency says we are all on same page with me leaving but won't let me give keys back! I'm not sure what to do..can anyone help please?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help You

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I want to know what to do about next rent payment as I'm worried if i don't pay she will say I'm in breach of contract although she has agreed I can leave. The letting agent says she will be dealing with it this coming week but technically my next payment is due today. Not sure what to do.

Just to confirm was it agreed in writing?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have an email saying the landlady has agreed I can leave the property as quickly as I wish once she has copy of asbestos report. I provided info from the report to them.

Ok. Then I nailing he fine. You have it in an email. The landlady can't change her mind.

You won't be in breach, you just need to leave as agreed.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The email is from.the letting agency is that still OK. Also I only sent parts of report that detailed asbestos. I offered whole report but said I needed reimbursing as it cost me £400 if she wanted whole thing. She also wanted a disclaimer signing although she has now changed her mind about this. So definitely don't need to worry about paying my rent? Thank you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
By the way I have already left property but they won't accept keys from me.

ok. Then you are fine. There really isn't anything to worry about.

Does that clarify?