Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

On Friday night, I went to the Libray, a private member Club

Customer Question

On Friday night, I went to the Libray, a private member Club in London, for an event I had already paid for. In brief, I went directly to the front door, passing the reception suspecting the guests would be greeted inside. The doorman then interrupted me and called me stupid (because I did not stop at the reception). Astounded by the aggressivity of the doorman, I asked the receptionist: "is it normal that your doorman just called me stupid?". The dorman then grab me, and violently pulled out me. Finding the situation totally absurd I resisted him while asking to see a supervisor, in the meantime he was struggling me. Someone came then, I had some hard time to express myself as I was shocked but he seemed to somewhat admit that the doorman had some aggressivity issues but he did not want to let me in and told the Library will pay back for the tickets. He also told me they have CCTV ( that I suppose I could potentially asked for). I would like to sue them, I have never been that brutalised and did absolutely nothing wrong and did not have any drink before showing up at this event.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 29 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How many do you want to claim and what are your losses please?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
My question (I forgot to put one), is what is my right? What can I do? What kind of compensation should I expect from the Library Club if I can sue them?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 29 days ago.

Did you suffer any injury?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
The event cost me £22 but this not truly my problem. I just want to inflict as much as damage as I can to this club as I have never been brutalised like this. I had planned to go this event, and had to back home, I was shocked after being assaulted for no reason. The only wrong thing I did was to walk straight to the entry door. And the doorman did not tell first to sign in at the reception, he just interrupted me and called stupid
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I was red on my neck but not really
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 29 days ago.

Ok. The only claim you have for is breach of contract, nothing else. The damages you could potentially claim is limited rally, probably to the ticket even plus a small sum for distress.

But sadly that it is, you don't have a right of entry. It's a private venue and you are only there on licence. This licence can be terminated at any time for any reason.

I realise it is frustrating but it's no different if someone came to your home.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
what kind of amount could I expect for distress?What do you mean by "you are only there on licence"? By buying a ticket for an event, I basically offer me the right of access to the club but this can be revoked at any time...Also, what would be the next step if I want to sue them (I have never sued any body)?Thanks.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 29 days ago.

not exceeding £100. When you visit somewhere you have no right, they only let you in, for example Tesco. You don't have a right to enter, even for a ticketed event.

You need to write and set out your losses and compensation a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.