12826847

My neighbour caught me on my way out yesterday to have a go

Customer Question

My neighbour caught me on my way out yesterday to have a go at at me- apparently, since he's re-done his drive in quite fine gravel he's having a problem with cat's messing on his drive. There are over a dozen cats in the area but he's decided the problem is with my two. He was very rude & unreasonable & threatened to set his dog on my cats if I didn't sort it out (I'm hoping that was just talk). I've tried spraying cat repellent around the border between our houses today in the hopes of discouraging my cats from going into his garden (if it is really my cats causing the problem to start with)- I also have a litter tray for my cats in my garden, which has been there since abut April (before he started having a problem) but would like to know what I'm expected to do in this situation & where I stand if he does something- like follow through & set his dog on cats?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

Are you asking if you are liable?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Jo,Sort of? I want to know what I'm legally expected to do- is there some action that I should be taking that I haven't? and yes I suppose am I liable? and where do I stand if he follows through on his threat?Best regard, Tara
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

No. You are not.

Apart from anything else he can't prove your car is responsible.

In any event, cats are semi wild animals in law and you are not liable for their conduct whilst roaming.

I wouldn't worry about this. Some people just have nothing better to do than worry about their gravel. If they had hobbies and a job they would not care about that type of nonsense.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Jo,No, that's great- I thought that was the case but for peace of mind just wanted to be absolutely certain. Thank you very much for all your help.Best regards, Tara.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.

No problem.

all the best.