Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I was driving on a dual carriageway at a reasonable distance

I was driving on a dual carriageway at a reasonable distance behind the car in front. Another car was slowly overtaking me. At the same time I was in discussion with my wife as my passenger about a personal matter.
As the car overtaking was passing me, I indicated to overtake the car in front. All the time I was talking with my wife. I saw that the overtaking car had past me out of the corner of my eye, and I proceeded to overtake, still taking with my wife. I then realised when in the outside lane that I was far too close to the car now in front ( the one that had previously overtaken me) by being approx 1 metre or less from its rear bumper. I took my foot off the accelerator and it also speeded up a little. After it past the other car it was overtaking, it pulled into the inside line and I proceeded to overtake it. I was probably 1-2 metres off the rear bumper of the car for 10-20 metres or so before it moved to the inside lane. The speed was approximately 70mph in a 70 zone.
I am very concerned that if this car or another in the vicinity had a dashboard camera and submitted this to the police, it would be seen as aggressive driving which worries me. I am sure it is tailgating and as a result of a lack of concentration before making the overtaking manoeuvre.
No vehicles were forced to break or take evasive action as a result and traffic wasn't heavy or excessive.
I have read the cps description of dangerous driving and they class driving excessively close to a vehicle is dangerous driving. I am very worried now as this is out of character for me, and I cannot get this panic out of my mind.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Haven't we spoke about this already?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We have but to be honest I have checked the cps website and their description of dangerous driving and driving far too close to a car in front has worried me yet again.
I am not usually this way as I am not a poor driver nor do I drive aggressively or faster than speed limits typically.
If you could help me understand the cps description I would be most grateful
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm a 50 year old professional and need a car for my work. Plus I am a natural worrier with anything to do with the law from a personal perspective, hence my worried state of mind

But it's not been reported to the police?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't know if it has or not. Who knows what people may or may not do with potential dashboard camera evidence
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I guess I am worrying about something that may not actually happen.

they tend to only have front camera so it wouldn't have shown you anyway,

But as discussed I really think it's only carless, it does not fall into dangerous.

Does that clairfy?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. I have never been in this kind of situation in over 30 years driving, hence my worries.
thank you once again