Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

A mother I know was told by her step-daughter a few years

Customer Question

Hello. A mother I know was told by her step-daughter a few years ago (when the girl was 13) that she had had sex with her son (aged 16). She told her it was only the one occasion. There was sufficient doubt in the mother's mind due to circumstances at that time. It has recently come out however that the boy has cottnued his relationship with the girl. Is this an offence as the mother didn't report it?
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 10 months ago.

Obviously given what she knows now the mother may regret not reporting it but she was not under any obligation to do so. She has not committed any offence by failing to report it.

As parents we all have situations where we are unsure if our children are telling us the truth and having the weigh up the evidence.

Best regards

Michael