Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Our car was taken to a garage by the police after it was

Our car was taken to a garage by the police after it was stolen by a guest in our home.The insurance company say they may not pay out unless the individual is prosecuted. We see no reason why he shouldn't be prosecuted. In the meantime the car was checked over by the police.We should have received a letter from the garage stating that our car was there and most importantly that they would only keep it for two weeks. This letter never arrived .I don't understand why it wasn't sent by recorded delivery. When I phoned the garage about our car they said the car had been sent away to be crushed to help them recover storage costs. I looked on the web site where the car was taken to and found it on their auction web site.our insurance company are being very unhelpful. They haven't inspected the car and if it's sold I believe they won't pay out.I feel that the garage are responsible surely they should have made certain that we received their communication. The car auction finishes on Wednesday and I worry that we will have lost everything.Please ,please can you help .
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is the value of the car? Do you want the car back or the cost price please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the car was in good undamaged condition it would be worth £4500.00.I think we would like the car back , however I don't want to pay their towing charges,or excessive storage charges. Thank you for your help Julie
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Julie. You need to write and ask that it is given back within 24 hours or say you will seek an injunction.

If they refuse then you can issue proceedings using form N208:

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n208-eng.pdf

And N16a:

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n016a-eng.pdf

The Court will urgently list the matter for hearing and decide whether to make an order preventing sale.

If the Court does and they sell it, this is contempt of Court and they may be warned, fined or sent to prison

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will the injunction be expensive?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

It costs £355 to issue the claim. If you win you can ask for these costs.

Does that clarify?