Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

If my landlord put the property I'm renting ,meaning I have

If my landlord put the property I'm renting ,meaning I have to find somewhere else to live, and I find another property, but have to move quickly to secure it, and move out even though the tenancy agreement still has several months to run.
Where do I stand legally and can I claim my bond back?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Just to be clear, has he put it up for sale?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Ok, has it been sold yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not as far as I know.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

OK - then that is ok. Just because it is on the market does not mean you have to leave.

It may be that it takes months to sell, or even if it is sold the property transaction is completed by the time your tenancy ends

Just because it is up for sale, does not mean you can leave.

But if the property is actually sold and completed, then you can get your bond back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have moved out as I found another property and had to accept it or lose it. I informed Letting agents etc that I was moving out on August 1st 2016.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund of your deposit within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The deposit is with a TDS scheme and I have contacted them last week to no avail.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Yes. You can issue proceedings against your Landlord. can you see how to do it above?