Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I am a landlord and I have an issue with the letting agent.

I am a landlord and I have an issue with the letting agent. My rented out property had a roof problem and the agent obtained a quote. He said if I was happy with the figure he would give the go ahead for the work to be done and so I did. The roofer turned out to be utterly unqualified and did a bodge job which only exacerbated the internal damp issues. I asked a qualified roofer to take a look and he was horrified by what he saw. I asked him to take photos and write a report on what he had found which he did. I sent copies of these to the agent asking him to refund to me what I had paid out. I have written 3 times and have proof of receipt of all letters (including asking for details of their complaints procedure) and no reply to any of them has been forthcoming. The amount I am asking for is £322.59.
I have since paid the qualified roofer (who did an excellent job) £726.00. I am not seeking this as I would have had to pay it anyway being the landlord.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 12 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Why wont the agent refund you please?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I don't know why they wont refund the money as they do not respond to any of my letters. I have given up phoning as the person I want to speak to (the office manager) is never available.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have already done what you say in your first sentence so I will go to the online as you've given above. Lets hope this gets results. Thank you.

I am sure it will. Court always makes people focus!

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!