29905560

I have been experiencing bullying and harassment at work

I have been experiencing bullying and harassment at work last couple of years by my line manager exclusion from meetings, no review meetings swearing etc last year I went off ill but came back last November now I'm off again due to more derogatory comments
I spoke to the support line for bullying victims last year and they suggested taping general conversations which I did and on there was belittling of me constant interruptions and a general aggressive style. he said I should Kick my direct reports etc
Question is I am now going to put in a formal grievance can this recording around 20 minutes be used at all
I am 53 worked for a large company (global fmcg) for 28 years my manager is 33 and been with the company for 10 years.
I am a senior manager he is a director.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Have you reported this since it began a couple of years ago? Also, what would be the ideal outcome for you based in this situation so that I can advise? Thank you

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I went off ill last October and ended up in hospital stress related chest pains to do with this guy
The company think there was an issue as I did not report to him the absence but to the ground director as the line manager was the problem
I still want to work for the company

OK thank you, ***** ***** it with me. I am in court today so will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The recording is quite serious I said one of my employees feels like she is being kicked by him as he was dealing with her over an issue and he can be heard saying and so she fuc&&&g should be
Not what you want for a corporate fmcg director in charge of a salesforce
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hear from you later Ben recording is on my phone

Thank you for the additional information; I will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. Many thanks

Many thanks for your patience. It is generally not illegal to secretly record others and use it as evidence. Issues would usually only arise if as part of the recording you had taped personal data about others, so for example if you were discussing sensitive or personal data about others and this information ended up being recorded, but if it was just general discussions in work then it can be recorded and used if necessary. If challenged by the employer you should make it clear that the main issue here is not the recording but the content and the proof of what has been happening and also remind them that as bullying often takes place without witnesses, this is your only way to prove what is actually happening behind closed doors and the only way you can get an ‘independent witness’ is to record the incidents, otherwise it is your word against theirs. Therefore the priority should be dealing with the bullying and harassment, which is a lot more serious than just recording someone with the sole purpose of exposing them as a bully.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks Ben so just to clarify I can use either the full recording or transcripts from it to validate the general working environment I was working in which was hostile.

yes you can, just make sure there is no personal information about others being recorded though

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.

Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'