Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My husband died just over 2 weeks ago and I have reported

Customer Question

My husband died just over 2 weeks ago and I have reported his death to all the government agencies through 'Tell us now'. Do I need to get a solicitor to deal with the banks and I assume probate as the house was in joints names. Our bank accounts are not in joints names and I have not informed his bank yet. Will they freeze his money and is it possible to take some out before I tell them? It feels like stealing though.
Jean P
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jean,

Thanks for your enquiry and am sorry to hear of your loss.

You don't have to instruct a Solicitor to deal with the Estate if you feel confident writing to the Banks etc yourself. Quite a few people nowadays apply for Probate themselves and the Probate Registries are quite happy to receive such applications.

Probate will only be required if your Husband left more than £5,000 in his own name.

In the meantime, you should not under any circumstances take any money out of his accounts- this will be seen as fraud, however daft that may sound!

As regards ***** ***** provided you held the property as "Joint tenants", the property passes automatically to you, through survivorship, and if so, there is nothing you will need to do (although you could send to the Land Registry your Husband's death certificate, if you wanted to update details- a Solicitor may be best to do this unless you are familiar with Land Registry applications forms/procedure.

I hope this assists you.

Please let me know if you require any further clarification.

If not, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.

Kind Regards

Al

If I have helped, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.

Al

Hi Jean, please don't forget to rate my answer. Thanks Al

Hi, if I have answered your question, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer so I can get credited for my time. Thanks Al