Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My sister and I have an Lpa for our elderly brother. the

my sister and I have an Lpa for our elderly brother. the only money he has is in stocks and shares which are held with Barclays. can we sell these to enable us to get funds ready for when he goes into a home?
would he need to be involved,he has little or no interest in anything.
your help would be much appreciated
Expert:  Buachaill replied 10 months ago.

1. Dear *****, once you register the Lasting Power of Attorney, you can sell these stocks and shares to enable you to get funds so as to be ready for when your elderly brother goes into a home. So, if you have no registered the LPA you should do so immediately. However, once you have registered the LPA, you should send a copy of it with a covering letter to Barclays with instructions to sell however much of the stocks and shares you wish to have sold. This will then enable you to sell the stocks and shares and realise the funds you need.

2. Please Accept or Rate the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment for answering your question.