How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Clare Your Own Question

Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34028
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

In 2011, a judge awarded my ex wife £10,000 because council

Customer Question

In 2011, a judge awarded my ex wife £10,000 because council tax found that I was not liable to pay council tax. I had been locked out of my property for 4 years. 2years not living at the property, I was paying the council tax, but the other 2 years I became unemployed. Council tax demanding payment, I told them that I have not been living at my address so why should I pay monies. They stated 2 years have been paid and I said I paid the 2 years. They came back to me do I want my money back and I said yes because of mortgage arreas I was dealing with at the time. Now at our divorce proceedings my ex wife who had been living in my property while she property was gaining income and who was employed, went to court and complained to the judge that I got a rebate and the judge asked me if I took thee money and replied yes. I wanted to explain but he did not want to hear and awarded my ex £10,000 to pay her in a year.
my ex went back to court because I had not paid anything due to not having the monies to pay, and it got thrown out of court in 2014. now she has gone back to court again and they have awarded her the £10,000 plus interest and court cost. I was not able to attend the hearing due to work and the short notice I had to attend court.
1.I want to appeal about the 2011 judgement because my legal aid representation did not help me by not using the information by myself?.
2. Due to the situation at the time I was homeless, unemployed and had health problems, none of these things was taken in consideration. How can a judgement be made on these grounds?
3. What can I do about this last judgement?
4. I the court keeps on spelling my name wrong do I have to comply with their request?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

What is the exact wording of the latest Order?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Final charging order
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
By calling you is there an extra charge
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have given my card details but not getting any response
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.

My apologies for the delay

What did you think happened in 2014?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I think the judge changed his mind on the original decision.
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.

Do you have a copy of that Order?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not at the moment, having trouble locating it order
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
how long do I have to make an appeal
Expert:  Clare replied 8 months ago.


1. I am sorry but you are far out of time to appeal the Order from 2011 - unless you can show that your ex had assets that she did not disclose

2. See above I am afraid

3. I fear that you have not understood what has been happening. I suspect that the 2014 hearing was an attempt to enforce the order that failed - not that the Order itself was overturned. What has happened now is that your ex has again tried to enforce the Order and has obtained a Charging Order securing the debt against your current property.

That is not an instant problem as she ha sto take separate action to try and force a sale

4. The fact that your name is ***** ***** no protection I am afraid.

If you are able to find any of the orders and send them to me I will try and help you clarify exactly what has happened

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions