Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Just found out my partner has not paid mortgage for 2 months

Hi. Just found out my partner has not paid mortgage for 2 months or the gas n elec can he still stay here n pay nothing? I now have to sort this out but need to know if he has to leave or pay his way
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Please confirm:

-Whose name is ***** ***** and mortgage in?

-Are you married to your partner?

-Whose name are the utilities in?

-Has there been any formal agreement regarding contributions to the household outgoings, if so what?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We are not married n have been together 21 years. Everything in joint names n just agreed he would pay gas electricity and mortgage n I pay rest
Expert:  Harris replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for confirming. Given that there is agreement you would have grounds to pursue a court application for any non-payment by him, but of course this should be the final course of action. Initially you should bring it to his attention, preferably in writing and request he covers any arrears and continues to make good on your contributions agreement.

For your information, legally as everything is in joint names if there are arrears the companies can pursue you both either jointly or individually for the arrears.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you