29905560

To start at the beginning, we signed a contract for 5 x new

Customer Question

Hi all,
To start at the beginning, we signed a contract for 5 x new Vw transporter vans for our shop fitting business. As per contract signed we purchased each of the 5 x vans at £15000 pounds per van including vat. We also put £30000 cash deposit and paid 24 x payments at £2750 per month until the total of £90000 was paid in full. Our issue now is that we are having trouble in getting our log books for the 5 x Vw vans that we should now by law own ? It's been 3 months and they are avoiding emails and calls ect so we do not know what best action to take ? We also are paying for another 3 vehicles to same company on a similar deal so do we stop paying ? As they us ?. We have also heard that they might be in financial trouble by there own workers which is really concerning us and all the money we have paid to them without having our log books in our company's possession. We would be really great ful if anyone could advise us the form of legal action to take.
Simon tovey
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

What reason have they provided for not handing you the log books as yet, if at all?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Ben, thanks they have not given us a reason As the boss is always never there or busy and they have multiple depots so impossible to track him down convenient

Hi there. Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not responded to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Many thanks for your patience. Having other deals with them ongoing at the same time would not allow you to stop paying for them in order to resolve issues with previous deals. I mean, you could certainly try and do it as a negotiating exercise but they could easily come back and challenge you and perhaps charge you penalties if your agreement allows it in the event of a default.

Sadly if they have possession of the logbooks and are refusing to hand these over, you cannot physically force them to do so. If they do not do so then you do have a couple of options. You could go to court and try to get a court order forcing them to past these documents to you, but again this is only useful if they actually adhere to this. The other is to go through the DVLA and perhaps try to get the logbook re-issued in your name if you can prove that you have paid for these vehicles and you have all the necessary documentation. The second option may be the best one as it is free and will hopefully resolve this with the least amount of tress and costs.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

My full response should be visible on this page. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question or whether you need me to clarify anything else in relation to this? If your query has been answered I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating, selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.