29905560

We have just undertaken an SEN Tribunal with the help of a

We have just undertaken an SEN Tribunal with the help of a solicitor, we were staggered to find that he charged £312 per hour for 8.5 hours travel to and from the Tribunal a total of £2,652 plus accommodation, taxis etc. His contract just said expenses for travel, we never expected his normal hourly rate to be applied to travel.
We have no objection to paying expenses but is this hourly rate (£312 per hour) appropriate for travel time?
Our bill overall comes to just over £22,000 for the solicitor and £14.500 for experts.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Have you suggested he make a reduction in his bill?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Fine, but I do not want an ongoing membership, I simply want an answer to my question today, I do not want a regular payment deducted from my account.Yes, we questioned his overcharge, but he simply said it related to extra work, my question today relates specifically to the charge for travel which he did not address
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There is no need for a telephone call, if the answer is simple.

OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not responded to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Many thanks for your patience. It is not uncommon for lawyers to charge their normal hourly rate for travel. That is because their time spent travelling could have been used doing work and generating that same amount so they should not be made to ‘lose out’ just because they are travelling during that time. The reason for the travel is as a result of your instructions and if you had not instructed them to undertake that travel, they could have instead charged their hourly rate doing other work. Therefore by engaging them in travel you are taking away that opportunity and would be expected to compensate them by paying them their normal fees for that time. It is of course possible to negotiate a reduced rate but this should have been done in advance.

There is nothing stopping you from trying to negotiate with them now and trying to come to an arrangement. If that is not possible you have a couple of options – refuse to pay and let them pursue you for it, letting the courts decide in the end what is reasonable; or you can go to the Legal Ombudsman to challenge the fees charged and let them make a decision (at least this option is all free).

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you