Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

I want to know if I have a valid claim, I have been trading

Customer Question

Hi I want to know if I have a valid claim , I have been trading in futures and opened an account which I had been successfully funding on numerous occasions automatically from my Santander account. However in one occasion I needed to send money from my Santander account to my trading account as my funds were too low and was in danger of an open trade being automatically closed at a loss unless i added more funds this I attempted to do via my Santander account however at this point Santander systems asked me to change my password ***** no particular reason I tried several memorable passwords which the system stated I had already used subsequent ly on 3rd attempt it automatically shut down my account and said i would need to call for assistance by this time I had only minutes to fund my account and unfortunately the loss was automatically closed generatibg a loss of over £7000. Had I had ability to fund my account this would not have happened. I am seeking a claim from Santander due to the delays caused and this loss. I tried the ombudsman but they believe Santander were in their right to add security. My argument is that I had already been funding my account previously from Santander with no issues until at this critical point. Can I claim my loss from them do you think?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 24 days ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 24 days ago.