Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Aston, I'm happy to pay the remaining rent, obviously I did

Hi Aston, I'm happy to pay the remaining rent, obviously I did not read the contract properly and the advice I was given was incorrect. Unfortunately my landlord is refusing to make contact with me other than hand delivered and recorded delivery letters which obviously adds to the time in replying, I have already found another place to rent and will be leaving on the 3rd October. What should my next course of action be? Clearly I want to avoid any court costs etc..also will he keep my deposit?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

If you could rate my answer to your previous question, I will then be able to assist you further.

Al

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Happy with response to earlier question.

Hi, if you could officially rate my previous answer, and I will then be able to assist with this question. Thanks Al

Thanks for rating my previous answer.

As a Tenant, your only legal responsibility is to pay the rent up the end of the term and then hand over the keys to the Landlord/Agent on the last day. (There is no need to give any formal Notice to a Landlord if you are vacating at the end of a fixed term Tenancy Agreement).

You will also need to sort out the return of any Deposit which is being held.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Al