Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I was having a (banter) conversation around about the Brexit

Customer Question

I was having a (banter) conversation around about the Brexit exit in June time. I apparently (as I have NO recollection of this conversation) called someone in the Facebook thread a "chinky" and said they should go home as we don't need negative people here who bring down the country. Monday the Police called me and invited me in for a conversation on tape. I informed them I have NO recollection of the conversation. I suffer from depression and past Schizophrenic episodes, so I can only assume I was having a turn, apart from that I have NO idea about it.
The claimant has phone screenshots only apparently as the conversation is not available anymore, so I cannot even see what was said in full, I just have snippets of when she supplied and printed off.
I supplied some old 2012 doctors letters stating my medical condition. They called me today saying they want up to date letters. I really do not want to go back to my doctor as it gets me very down, so I emailed the police officer stating I would come in to be charged and then I would face the court route as I can't face the Doctors again.
The charge was Racial harassment by telegraph computer communication I think
I honestly cannot remember the event and as I said, I have NO way of verifying anything as all conversations are gone she told the police but she selected odd screenshots on her mobile phone. So I have no way to see if that's what I said or to have anything verified or confirmed. I don't know if she called me an English Git and I replied Chinky. etc..
any suggestions? should I plead guilty or contest
I'm unemployed on ESA so cannot afford a solicitor
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Just to be clear, you have seen the screenshots? If so, do you accept it was you?

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
well, it has my name on the chat. and a screenshot of my page profile main FB page. BUT I have no recollection of the chat. But it must have been me, how else could she get chats with my name on them?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i prefer email chat, difficult to talk

Sure. Have you seen the screenshot?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
printed out. names only, no pictures next to names. you know, typical FB chat thread.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the wors i said was something to the effet that she was a chinky and should go home if she didn't like it here. thats the worst line seen, the rest was banter, or what looked like banter between 4-5 people
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the police officer was relaxed about it but said they need my upto date medical records as it would "benefit" me greatly. I dont want to go to my doctors again,

Ok. What do you want to know about this so I can help?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what? what do you think I want to know about this? whats your advice. I have NO recollection of the chats or saying this, so what do I do?

Just because you do not remember does not mean you didn't do it. If you did it then you should plead guilty.

If you plead not guilty then it will go to trial and evidence will be called. They will show that a computer logged into your facebook account and posted the message.

They can track the IP address back to the computer. They can contact the internet service provider to see which account logged into facebook.

So if it was you at your machine they can tell. If you didn't do it then plead not guilty. If you did do it then you are guilty.

But you are likely to just get a fine.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok thank you. You think a fine? they seem to jail people for racial crimes nowadays.

Yes but this was very minor indeed. Just one quick online snippet.

Does that clairfy?