Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My mother passed away last October and we have just received

Good Afternoon,
My mother passed away last October and we have just received Probate authority.
Her estate basically consisted of a London flat, two bank accounts and a savings account.
Her will specifically states that the flat will go to me, and my father gets all the money from her accounts, partly to be dispensed to other, named relatives.
He then gets to choose as to how to distribute the rest.
My question is, are we now able, to wind up the rest of the estate according to my Mum's wishes OURSELVES, or do we need further legal guidance in order to achieve this?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your enquiry.

You certainly don't legally need to instruct a Solicitor to do the necessary work, if the Executor(s)are happy to do it themselves.

You will need to let the 2 Banks have sight of the Probate and they will then prepare the necessary for the Executor(s) to sign to close the accounts.

As regards ***** ***** you will, however, need to involve a Solicitor if it is to be sold and likewise, a Solicitor should be instructed to prepare the necessary Land Registry Form transferring the Flat to you, if you wanted to keep it.

I hope this assists, and if so, please would you be kind enough to rate my answer. Please let me know if you require any further clarification.

Kind Regards

Al