12826847

It is legal for a wife to control her disabled husband's

Customer Question

It is legal for a wife to control her disabled husband's finances after separation?
The wife has ejected the husband from the family home and took control of everything without the benefit of LPA. He is now in a psychiatric unit (voluntarily) after attempting suicide. She will not have him back in the house and will not relinquish control of the finances. She does not work. All income follows the husband. He is too vulnerable to assert his rights and is afraid of her. He thinks she loves him. He is brain damaged (stroke survivor).
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am his sister. The wife has cut off all contact with his family. She didn't tell any of us that they had separated because she doesn't want anyone to know. She is refusing to go through any official channels.)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We are in England.
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 11 months ago.

You need to contact the local authority and raise a" safeguarding" issue in respect of his finances.

Does he have a social worker?

Michael

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Michael,
This is all way beyond that. Are you able to answer my question about the legality of control after separation? i.e the couple do not live together. I need the specifics of the law on this matter.
Alison