13262538

Both my ex husband & I have joint custody of our son. I

Customer Question

Both my ex husband & I have joint custody of our son. I found out earlier that his girlfriend has been tutoring my son with his schooling, which I wasn't consulted with. I discussed last term school about getting a tutor for our son with help & we agreed to leave it until he started back to school this year. My son proceeded to tell me today that he goes to his dads girlfriend to get extra tuition on his English, something I was not informed or discussed with. So I text him asking him why he did not consult me, he proceeded to tell me to mind my own business & that I was standing in my sons way of progress. He says his partner has regular contact with my son & will continue. I have never stopped my son meeting his dads girlfriend but I do not agree she should be tutoring him without my consent as it should have been discussed as a joint decision. Do I have rights over this? Im very very peeved about it as my son has Autism & concerned about it.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Dies his girlfriend have any qualifications to be a tutor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no idea, I think she might be a teacher of some sort but I'm not really sure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want to be thought of as being petty as I would have gladly discussed this with them but I thought by law, joint custody, joint decision.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

There is nothing wrong on the face of it with your ex's girlfriend helping your son - especially if she is indeed a teacher

Yes your ex should have consulted you - it would after all be much better if you could consolidate any work that she does - which you cannot do

if you are not told

However whilst he should have consulted you this is not a good enough reason to stop the tutoring.

You should offer to discuss matters with him using Family Mediation to try and resolve such issues and ensure that your son's needs are properly dealt with

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details