F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

Please could you give me some advice. I am just recently

Please could you give me some advice.
I am just recently divorced. In fact last saturday. I have worked with my now ex husband for 23 years in the family business. I have helped build up the business and went from 5 days to 2 days due to bringing up our children. I have not had a pay rise for many years. He is the Director. I have worked for 2 days for the last 10 years or more. He is now asking me to work 5 full days for the same pay. is this allowed I have not got a contract. He has only given me 5 days notice. He has given me a letter. My working days are tuesday and thursday. So I am reluctant at the moment to go in on this coming monday. I just wondered if I had any rights.
Please advise. Thank you
Expert:  F E Smith replied 10 months ago.

The fact that this may be your ex-husband is not relevant.

An employer cannot unreasonably vary the terms and conditions of work without your consent.

You went from 5 days 2 days with mutual consent and that has been the situation for some years.

He cannot now ask you to go back from 2 days to 5 days unless you agree or there was an early agreement that once you had brought the children up, you would revert to the 5 days.

If you ask for a contract, he has to let you have one. If he doesn’t, you can take him to tribunal to make him.

Please rate the service positive.

The thread remains open for further exchanges.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The fact of going back from 2 days to 5 days was never mentioned. No I have not agreed to it. could he sack me for not going in on monday
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
will just keep my head down.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can he deduct my pay If I don't agree.

If he sacked you for not going in Monday, you have a tribunal claim for unfair dismissal.

If you deduct your wages for not agreeing, and doesn’t pay was agreed that you would be paid, then you have a claim to bring in the tribunal or County Court for unlawful deduction from wages. Deduction also includes non-payment.

Remember you only have 3 months from dismissal to bring a claim in the employment tribunal and if you are just 1 day late, your claim will be thrown out so, if it does happen, don’t hang about.