Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

I'm looking for some advice, I have very recently broken up

I'm looking for some advice, I have very recently broken up with my boyfriend.
We started seeing each other last October, he lives up North and would see me most weekends etc. During our relationship he has bought me a lot of presents, each time he mentioned buying me anything I would say, it's very kind of you but save your money, I can live without the gifts. He would never listen to me and buy them any way.
I am the sort of person if I can't afford certain things I don't have them, i.e. holidays , clothes, etc etc. I have two jobs and a single mum of two, food and the bills are my priority.
Anyway in March the older of my two dogs died, my younger dog (who is 7 yrs old )missed her terribly as they'd always been together from when he was a pup, my boyfriend said you'll have to get him a puppy, I Said can't afford a puppy as they are expensive costing around £800 ( introducing an older dog would not work with my remaining boy). My boyfriend said he would buy a puppy for me, I Said no they cost a lot of money, he said start looking, I decided to not bring the subject up again and didn't start looking, he kept asking if I'd been looking and again I said it's too much money. He said he'd the puppy for me, didn't want any money , wanted to make myself and my dog happy, once he bought the puppy she'd be in my name all bills etc for her upbringing would be down to me.
I started looking constantly saying to him it's a lot of money,his answer would always be the same.
I found a puppy she came home on 22/6/16, she's a typical pup, up to things she shouldn't, like jumping up, pinching socks etc, my boyfriend would lose his temper with her and get cross, I would say to him she's a baby, but he had no patients with her, any way I really disliked how he was with her, felt on edge when they were together, he didn't have an issue smacking her, but this was a massive issue for me, my dogs are my family. As I'm sure you can imagine it put a big strain in my relationship with him, so much so I wanted to break off our relationship.
I spoke to him about the way I felt , how unhappy I was with him and the puppy and that he had no patients, he said I don't want to loose you, as he loved me, and that he would fight to keep me. I thought now that he knows how I felt we could try again.
The next weekend, the pup chewed his slipper up, he was not happy, hauled her on to the sofa holding her with one hand , slipper in the other. Yes I could see him about to strike her, I Said don't tell her off, he said once I've told her off she won't do it again. For me I was angry and very upset inside, and knew that our relationship wouldn't last. Over the next week and a bit, I was very quiet with him trying to decide if there was any chance for us as a couple. He sent me a text asking if I knew what was going on with us, as he knew I wasn't happy, I didn't reply then a couple of days later he sent me these two texts;
"Hi I take it by no contact you want to call it a day.OK I'll respect that.Think I knew it was coming sooner or later. OK no problems with all the stuff I bought you to try and make your life a bit easier.laptop for work , tumble dryer shower etc. No problem they are material things. When it comes to jasmine ( puppy ) however I think it's only fair if you want her for yourself then I'm owed a few quid. She is half mine after all even she's in your name. Only fair that you pay for her no more Saud. £500 think fair and no more said. Don't expect it at
Once but that was my savings I used let me know
Second text;
Please don't think I'm a walk over. I'm not. I've used nearly £3500 of my savings to try to make your life a bit easier and make more time for us . ..obviously not worked out as you've shown you have no time for me oh well big lesson learnt.
Please don't make this a legal issue
I have not replied to these text without seeking advice first.
My questions are how does he stand legally, we had no contract with th the pup between ourselves?
Do I pay him the £500 which is a massive amount of money for me?
Do I reply to the texts?
What is your advice?
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind Regards
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 21 days ago.

Hello Donna my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I don't know if I should try and pay him £500 or what's best.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 21 days ago.

If it was a gift then you do not have to pay.

You shouldnt be made to pay if it was never agreed.

So no, I do not think you should pay. This is just an ex that is bitter, nothing else.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thank you Jamie.
Should I reply to his text ?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 21 days ago.

No I wouldnt.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Ok I think so.
If i think of anything else can I contact you?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 21 days ago.

Sure. If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance!

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
10/10 reply rating
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 21 days ago.

please click the 5 stars or happy face. Thanks

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor