Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I'm based in Ireland I recently opened a small equestrian

Customer Question

I'm based in Ireland I recently opened a small equestrian business everything is legal and above the law. I have a friend who is helping me unpaid as to advising the best wholesales etc I've now received an email from a company he apparently owes €823 to they asked me to pass on a statement of account and have now contacted me saying its obvious he's helping me and have taken a screenshot of my business page where a custy thanked us both for our help. He does not own this business I do this debt was from 6 yrs ago I have only known him for a year. I don't know what to do. I've told him about it he just said yo email them back telling them that you'd pass it on. Now they've said that they may call at my premises I owe nothing to anyone and feel rather threatened by something that has nothing to do with me or my business what so ever it is a debt to my friends business which now no longer trades. What should I do ? I'm very worried.thank you
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

To be clear this debt is over 6 years old. Is it anything to do with the business?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi no nothing at all to do with myself or my business
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

you don't need to worry or do anything. It's nothing to do with you so you do not have to pay it.

In any event if it's over 6 years old it is statute barred under the statute of limitations. This menas they can not pursue the debt in court.

So not only is it nothing to do with you, it is time barred and cant can't be collected.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?