Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

We have been renti g out home for 27 years and have done

We have been renti g out home for 27 years and have done lots of work to the property over that time. Including rewiring it and putting in central heating which we have paid for ourselves. Put property was owned by the Lord of the manor and we did the work willingly and in return we got the rent cheaper. The Lord has now died and the estate is in trust. When we flat took on the house it was a 2 bedrooms cottage and we did the work to make it into a 3 bed to suit own growing family. It was always agreed that when they flew the best we could put it bsck to a 2 bed. But now the trustees say we can't because it will reduce future rental. As the house we sign the contract for was originally a 2 bed do we have the right to say we are just returning it back to the original. Please help I want to know where I stand legally. Thanks Helen
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello Helen my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Does your tenancy agreement say you can't make aleternations without permission please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does but we had permission because they actually put in a new window so that the new bedroom had a window. We had a verbal agreement it would go back to a 2 bed on the end
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

but nothing in writing to that effect? I assume the only person that gave you this is now dead?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
both of them but the new manager of the estate knew about it and has told them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is still alive
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

so he agrees you could do that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He had confirmed with the trustee manager that that was the agreement when the changes were originally made. As he was working a a builder for the estate at the time
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

ok then in that case they are in breach of contract. There was an express agreement that after the improvement you could change it back. They have refused.

This change forms part of the contract. You should write and set out your position, saying you had agreement and that they are in breach.

You want to give them two weeks to consider this then you will go to court if they refuse.

If that does not work get a solicitor to write and say the same thing. If that does not work then you can go to court and seek a court order giving permission.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No that is what I thought thanks for the clarification I now have the ammunition I need to go into battle. Thanks for the help
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!