29905560

Dear sirs... I was a Media customer in Mill Road, Impington,

Dear sirs...
I was a Virgin Media customer in Mill Road, Impington, Cambridge CB24 9PE, for cable TV, broadband and phone for years! We moved house on 9.9.16 to Sheppard Way, Teversham, Cambridge CB1 9AX, and I phoned Virgin about 11.8.16 when still in Mill Road hoping to take their service with me! They then advised me that they can't supply Teversham(no cable!), so I was forced to take on a new provider in Sheppard Way, who have been very good! Virgin then had the cheek to charge me a cancellation fee of a whopping £230.77, and sent me a letter with same invoice demand! I copied the letter, returned invoice with a letter of refusal on 25.9.16 to their address, as always in very small print! I haven't had a reply as yet! They also sent it to my old email address on ntlworld.com! I have until 6 October to pay it! I'm not paying it, as they're cancelling not me, as they're not able to provide a service to my new address! All the years(as with all my bills)I've been a very good payer, so I don't see why I should buckle under to this!
What do you think! I would be most grateful for you're help and advice!
Yours in expectation, many thanks, ***** 29.9.16>***@******.***
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Have they provided a breakdown of the charge or is the amount requested being charged solely for the cancellation of service?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On their bill they term it as contract termination fee of £240!
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

OK thank you, ***** ***** it with me. I will be in court today so will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks for your patience. Whilst I understand why you feel like they are the ones who have cancelled, in reality that is not the case. When you took out a contract with them you would have taken a contract for the specific address you resided at at the time. Virgin would have been contracted to supply the services to that address. If you then decided to move house and change address, then you would be amending the existing contract. If you were moving to an area which is served by Virgin then there is the option to take your existing services with you and simply transfer the contract. However, if you were moving to an area not serviced by Virgin then it is not their fault that you had decided to move and you will have to consider cancelling the contract – remember you are the ne cancelling because you are amending the existing contract by changing your address and moving to an area that they cannot service. If you are still within your minimum contract term then sadly you will have to pay a cancellation fee because you are terminating the services early. This is quite common and it is legal, with the key being that you are the one who prompted this move, the changes and the subsequent cancellation. Virgin have not done anything wrong unfortunately so they are entitled to insist on this as e their contractual terms.

I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.