12826847

My wife had just picked up our 4 year old from school and

Customer Question

My wife had just picked up our 4 year old from school and overtook a parked ambulance to join a stationary queue at red traffic lights. The ambulance moved up behind her.
While waiting, she says she looked at the paperwork/ books in the school bag. Next thing an aggressive ambulance man is knocking on her window saying she shouldn`t be reading and he has her on CCTV and will pass it over to the police.
Both my wife and particularly our young son were rather upset at this behaviour.
Should we be worried? And is any action needed on our part?
I`m reluctant to contact the police to make a complaint for obvious reasons but I am surprised to find paramedics acting like policemen!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry phone call not required, I pressed the button by mistake. Just would like some expert advice on what I described. Many thanks.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

If I am understanding you correctly then she was reading something whilst the engine was running?

If so that is driving without due care and attention.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

I would imagine that they are alleging some form of bad driving as well though.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

Any motorist can pass CCTV to the police.

Whether the police will be interested is another matter.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

They could prosecute on that evidence though.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
even though vehicle is stationary in a queue an offence has been committed? It`s not a mobile phone. Is it likely to be £60 and 3 points - if the police proceed?
The attitude of the paramedic was quite threatening.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

Yes, you are still driving even though the car is stationary.

They don't use a fixed penalties with driving without due care.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for clarifying. So does that mean it could go to court and what is a typical punishment?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

Yes, but she can plead guilty by post.

Probably just 3 points and a fine but it would be higher than the fixed penalty.