propertylawyer
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
94563951

Should they have not sent me a letter before they come to

Customer Question

Should they have not sent me a letter before they come to put a sign over when I've got the right to know that before they did that
Expert:  propertylawyer replied 1 year ago.

Who?

What sign?

What did it cover?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Putting up assign that the property is for auction when nobody contacted me to said they were selling the property

If you are a tenant the landlord does not have to notify you of the sale.

However the person buying will buy subject to your tenancy agreement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One last question before before I go is there anything I can do to have the right just first preference to purchase the property yes I do have a tenancy agreement

Unfortunately having a tenancy agreement does not give you a right of pre-emption (legal term for right of first refusal).

You have two options (1) try to buy via the auction or (2) negotiate with the landlord to sell to you rather than putting the property in auction. Neither are guaranteed. But unfortunately those are the only options available. You do not have any preferential right to buy.

Any further questions or queries?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok you have answered my question better now what does the first option mean via the action

You said the property was going to Auction. You are entitled to bid along with anyone else. You bid at the auction to buy the property. You will need your finance in place. You should get a solicitor to check the auction pack first for issues. If you bid, contracts are exchanged, I.e legally binding, once the hammer falls. You will have to pay a deposit on exchange. A completion date will be set and you will need to pay the balance on completion.