F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

Following a recent case in crown court I have received a CCO

Following a recent case in crown court I have received a CCO to pay £2500 based on a means test. However the means test has shown my home valued at £199000 as being a disposable sum. My home is subject to a life time mortgage and the lender has a charge and title against the property. There is no allowance being made for this, is this correct?
Expert:  F E Smith replied 11 months ago.

Can you explain the background detail here a little more please?

What equity is in the property?

I need as much background detail as possible please. Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for reply. Do my best re background.
I pleaded guilty to an offence in crown court in April 2016. I was on legal aid at the time but was told there may be a contribution order based on means test and this would take 6 months. I received an order on 9th Sept to pay £2588.47.
The means test done is shown as follows;
Equity in main property = £199000.00
Capital = £ 11177.00
Total Capital &equity = £210177.00
Disposal Capital = £180177.00 (there is an allowance of £30000)Equity in property + capital is regarded as fluid means.
Because I have more fluid means than the allowance I am therefore liable to pay solicitor & barrister fees of £2588.47.My concern at this time is that my property is subject to a lifetime mortgage(equity release) with Aviva taken out in 2003. They are currently owed £102000.00 with a charge & title over the property. I have to adhere to various terms and although I can move to another property in my & my wife's lifetime the only way disposable funds could be raised is when we are both deceased.In consequence I am looking for advice as to me I do not consider that my main property is a disposable item in the context of the assessment due to above reasons.I hope this gives the background required.
Many thanks,
Edwin

You say that the equity in the main property is £199,000.

You say that Aviva is owed £102,000.

However, you haven’t said what the property value is.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry about that. On today's market approx. £197000.00 Prices around me have fallen over last six months ago.
Regards Edwin

So, whilst the data may be flawed, and the assessment that you are liable to pay £2500 is based upon the disposable value of your home being £199,000, the reality is that the disposable value of your home is actually £95,000.

By all means appeal the assessment but I don’t think it’s going to make much difference. Sorry.