13262538

My wife passed away on 10th September 2016 and I have

Customer Question

My wife passed away on 10th September 2016 and I have discovered that she has numerous credit card debts in her previous name amounting to approx £10,000. I am still going through her paperwork but I am not sure what my responsibilities are. She has not left a will. There is certainly not enough money in her bank or savings accounts and although I think she may of had some shares left by her father I do not think there will be sufficient funds to clear the debts. Can you tell me how I should proceed please.
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I am sorry for your loss

What assets were held in her sole name?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just her bank accounts aproox £2000 and I believe some shares with little value
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

The first claim on the assets of your late wife is the funeral expenses.

After that the balance (if any) should be paid proportionately to all the creditors.

I suggest that you draft a letter to send to all of them detailing the assets and debts and confirming that the Estate is in fact insolvent.

No matter what they say to you they have NO claim on any assets held in joint names

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details