Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I was caught on camera putting a jar of marmalade in my

I was caught on camera putting a jar of marmalade in my shopping bag. The police weren't called. The security man took my details but I was so confused I gave him my old address. I have early Lewy body dementia and my brain doesn't always work properly. I've written to apologise and explained about my address. Will the police come after me?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

When did you move to your new address?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The address I said was where I grew up as a child. I was so frightened it was the only one I could remember
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

So when did you move?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've lived in the bungalow for about thirty years. Why I gave them my old address is beyond me. I gave them my old address and the right postcode for where I live now. I am terrified that police will track me down and haul me off to prison.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

The Police wont do that - they can't send you to prison.

Worst case is you could be arrested and interviewed. Then you are likely to be given a caution if you have no previous.

But in reality nothing is likely to happen because of this.

But I would not go back to that store again - let sleeping dogs lie

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The people in the store didn't call the police even though they threatened to. I pleaded with them not to because I was so frightened. They took my name from my bank card and took a photo of me. I realise I'm banned from the shop and accept that is reasonable given I stole something. They gave me a letter to say if I go in the shop again the security people will throw me out for trespassing. I wouldn't dare go in the shop ever again. It's just giving the wrong address that is making me ill and I don't know what to do.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Ok - then you are ok. There is nothing you need worry about.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But if they have a rethink could they get the police to find me? And they send a letter to the wrong address and the people who live there send it back would they then send the police? I'm so frightened I can't even eat.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Possible but very very unlikely. You should rest easy, nothing is likely to happen.

You are not going to be arrested, you wont go to prison

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. I have never been in any trouble in my life and if my husband finds out about this it would kill him, I swear. He is in his seventies and not in the best of health. He trusts me with all his heart and if he finds out I've stolen something he would be destroyed.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Put it behind you, learn from it and don't do it again.

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Jamie. Please keep your fingers crossed for me. I'm not a bad person and I promise I won't ever do anything so stupid again. I can't believe I did this. Stupid stupid woman. Of course I'll rate you. Thank you for your kindness
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

All the very best