31090051

We have a 15ft high 40m retaining wall separating our

Customer Question

We have a 15ft high 40m long retaining wall separating our property from our neighbours. The wall Started collapsing due to a construction fault a few years ago and the original builder has now agreed to repair the wall. However they are refusing to provide any warranty with the new wall. We understandably don't want to swap one poorly constructed wall for another and so want them to provide a warranty with the repair.
Legally does the builder have to provide a warranty or can they just do the repair work and then walk away without any further recourse if the new wall also fails?
Expert:  JGM replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for your question. In the absence of a contract saying otherwise there is no general legal obligation on a builder to provide a warranty. However, if the wall doesn't last because of poor construction you would have a general claim for breach of contract. I suggest you get the construction supervised by a building surveyor so as to ensure the work is done properly. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.