ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

What should I look for when choosing a Solicitor for

Customer Question

What should I look for when choosing a Solicitor for Clinical negligence regarding vaccine law.There's so many things like 'Top Ranked Chambers UK', 'Legal 500 Legal Firm', 'The Law Society Clinical Negligence' 'AvMA'. What do these things mean and what should I really look for. These Solicitors claim to be Specialists in Clinical negligence.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will wait a bit more for an answer
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will try and assist you.

I must tell you that I am a litigator but I do not work in the field of clinical negligence.

As a Solicitor - I can however tell you what some of the terminology means.

Top Ranked Chambers - relates to barristers chambers. Although Solicitors can represent you at court - they are the ones that are responsible for the day to day handling of your file. A barrister may be instructed by a solicitor to undertake a hearing on your behalf and this will be the barristers job.

If when you have choosen a solicitor - a barrister is going to be instructed to represent you at a hearing - then you could ask your solicitor if such barrister is from a top ranked chambers.

Legal 500 - relates to the largest 500 law firms. It is up to you as to whether or not this is right choice for you. They will have more staff - but you may prefer a more local expert.

The Law Society Clinical Negligence - is a law society accrediation scheme which the solicitor would have applied for and proved competence in the area to be accepted. You do want to look for this.

AvMA - is a charity - a solicitor can also apply to be assessed by them as competent. This is also a quality mark that you should be looking for.

I would reccomend that you shortlist a few - then ask for a free legal advice sesssion / telephone appointment. You can then during these appointments decide who you feel has the best expertise to do the job for you.

I hope that this helps.

kind regards

Caroline

If you have found this service useful - pleaseindy remember to star rate our service so that we receive credit for helping you today

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can you tell me which are best solicitors out of theseSlater & Gordon
Irwin Mitchell
Penningtons
Leigh Day
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
also)
Fletchers

Slater & Gordon and Irwin Mitchell - are two that I personally know - but from a different area of litigation. I cant say in respect of this field but they are both well known national firms.

All 5 have Avma and the law society accrediation on their websites - so its going to come down as to who you think you can work with best.

I would push for a free consultation then make you choice. Perhaps ask how much of the case work the solicitor actually does themselves - often large teams will have lots of paralegals. The solicitor might just oversee / amend their work.

kind regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can you tell me what is Lexcel and should I be looking for it?

If a firm has a Lexcel accrediation - then they have been considered by the law society as having met the standards set by the scheme in respect of management and dealing with clients (in simple terms).

It is something you should look for - most reputable firms will have this accreditation. I doubt that there will be any from your list of 5 that dont.

kind regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can you tell me who won the Award for being the best in Clinical negligence in 2015 and 2016

Its not something I would immediatley know.

The answer to this is also - a round bout question dependant on who was giving out such an award. The law society dont make such awards. There is no test by which they would do so.

If you do find any such awards - look at how it was decided - such a customer poll etc?

kind regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do you think I should call organisations up and tell them who I should go with? Which organisations should I contact: Lexcel, AvMA, Legal 500, Top Ranked Chambers?

The only one your going to be able to maybe get a recommendation from would be AvMa.

see this link:

https://www.avma.org.uk/help-advice/find-a-solicitor-2/

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can't give you a rating, it says this 'Legal 500, Top Ranked Chambers?
Ukfamilysolicitor has referred you to a new Solicitor. You'll get a response here and by email typically within 24 hours.'
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can't give you a rating, it says this

Sorry I am a little lost. I dont know what that message is.

As previously explained - top ranked chambers does not relate to solicitors it relates to barristers. Legal 500 - is the top 500 firms.

Your best referring to AvMa.

Does that clarify?

ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience: Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What should I ask when I contact AvMA. Would their recommendations be different if say I want to go private rather than legal aid or conditional fee claim?

I would imagine that AvMa would expect that you should get the same level of service from your solicitor whatever the funding is. I expect that they would consider that any solicitor accrediated by them would act in your best interest whatever the funding.

I act for both legal aid and private and I do not differentiate between my clients. Solicitors are under a duty to act in their clients best interest at all times - this is not dependant on funding.

kind regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Yeah but with legal aid and conditional fee claims, a big chunk goes to the Solicitor if claimant wins, doesn't it?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
A large amount of winnings goes to Solicitor*

yes but they are also taking a chance that they might not get paid. Your solicitor should give you the same level of service however it is funded.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I understand that but my concern is that I would like to have all the winnings and go private rather than giving my winnings out

I dont think the Avma will have the answer to that but a chat with the solicitors they reccomend in respect of the funding options they offer wil let you know what options you have.

kind regards

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can you tell me if this Solicitors any good, they're called YouClaim. I did Google search, vaccine Specialists UK Solicitors and YouClaim popped up on the search.