ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

I am a undergraduate student in Nottingham University and I

I am a undergraduate student in Nottingham University and I would like to ask the way to be a lawyer in the Uk.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Could you please tell me the way to get a lawyer's license in general in the UK, no matter which law people do for.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 9 months ago.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will wait for the answer anyway, cheers
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will try and assist you.

Please may I ask:

- what are you currently studying at university?

- do you have any legal qualifications from a different country?

kind regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i am studying LLB law in Nottingham University for the first year but i don't have any legal qualifications from another country.
I am an international student by the way

Thank you for your response.

I cant tell you about any immigration requirements but I can tell you the route you need to folllow to become a solicitor.

Do you know if you LLB degree includes an extra year for the legal practice course?

kind regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i am not sure about that. Hopefully you can provide more details on the legal practise course and ways to be a barrister or a solicitor.

Yes I can do that.

It used to be that the LLB didnt include the LPC - but some now do. Its worth checking with your university.

If not, when you have completed your LLB you will need to enroll on the LPC. This could is 12 months - if you do this full time.

Once you have finished the LPC you then need to secure a training contract with a law firm. At this stage you will be a trainee solicitor. This normally runs for two years - but if you did some legal work before you start your TC - then you can ask for this to be taken into consideration.

During your TC - you will spend time in different departments of your law firm. You will also have to complete the professional skills course. This is about 20 days worth of study and your firm will book this for you.

When you finish your TC - your can then apply to be admitted as a solicitor.

Its a competative area of work and you need to make yourself stand out to secure a TC. I would reccomend getting as much legal experience as possible to make yo more attractive to employers. There are firms that will offer vacation work and you should apply for these. I used to call my local solicitors when I had free time and ask them if they needed a hand with their filing / admin etc. It was unpaid work whilst I was off - but it helped me to get known with the local firms.

Let me know if I can help you further.

kind regards

Caroline

If you have found this service useful - please kindly remember to star rate our service so that we receive credit for helping you today

ps - if you want to be a barrister rather than a solicitor - once you have completed your LLB - you will need to enrol on the Bar Vocational Course. This is again 1 year full time. The you have to secure a 1 year pupilage at a barristers chambers. Once the pupilage is complete you can apply to become a member of the bar to practice as a barrister.

ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience: Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery