Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I currently have a mobile phone contract with Vodafone.

Although rather belatedly I have realized that a major part of my monthly billing is for the mobile. I contacted Vodafone and they said that the contract was started as of 11th April 2012 and had ended on 14th April 2014. When challenged as to why they are still billing me for the mobile they replied that they had phoned and have not received any instruction from me to end the current contract. Firstly I do not recall getting a call and secondly, should it not also be their responsibility to indicate clearly the contract has ended on each invoice thereafter. Alternatively, simply deduct the cost of the mobile from my monthly invoice. I am currently paying £35 per month for the mobile plus any calls I may make. Do I have a case?
I am a 73 year old and am not in the habit of looking to change mobiles every so often and therefore I am not in regular conversation with my provider.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Do the terms and conditions which you would have agreed to say it continues monthly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have a written contract as as I upgraded to an iPhone via a phone call. If there is a contract it was some thirty years ago and I do not have the paperwork any longer.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

so it was a new contract with the same provider?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Four years ago i simply upgraded with additional minutes etc,. If that is regarded as a new contract so be it. My issue is they have been taking out of my bank account £35 per month for a mobile they surely know has been paid for. I also understand that other providers contact their consumer via email/letter to say that payment for the mobile has ended. Evidently Vodafone choose not to do the same.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Vodafone do not have to unless it is in their terms and conditions. It would be up to you to cancel the contract.

However you should write a formal complaint to:

Customer Relations Manager
Vodafone Limited
The Connection
Newbury
Berkshire
RG14 2FN

If that does not work then you can go to the Ombudsman. They can consider your complaint, are independent and will examine it for free. Their website is: www.os-communications.org

Finally if that does not work you could issue Court proceedings for the debt which can be done online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mant thanks for this. I will follow up with all your suggestions.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jamie-Law, many thanks for your assistance. You have been most helpful and I will certainly follow up your suggestions to try and resolve this issue. Once again many thanks. You have given me an excellent service.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Great. If you could click on the 5 stars or happy face I would be grateful.