How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Clare Your Own Question

Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 33325
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My partner of 20yrs left our house to be with her boyfriend

Customer Question

My partner of 20yrs left our house to be with her boyfriend (her solicitor stated she had vacated the property). Before we could settle the property she and her boyfriend broke in and changed the locks and occupied the property. On my return from work I called the police but they told me to leave and go and live with my mother and if I went back they would arrest me for breach of the police. My brother who went to the station to mediate and explain was also threatened with arrest for breach of the peace if he went to the property. I have been unable to return to my house since then nearly four months ago. We complained to police who said they had to remove one of us and that one was me.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

What do you wish to know about your position?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ummmm unhappy with police response and that I was evicted by them and I want my house back
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
don't want a call
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello anyone there?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do I need to do anything as I haven't had a response - somewhat disconcerting!
Expert:  Clare replied 2 months ago.

Please ignore the site popups - they are outside of my control unfortunately

How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?

Are there any hcildren involved?

What steps have you taken to deal with the house issue?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well I have a valuation of 80,000 I have treid to settle it with a solicitor but she has reneged on a deal then she broke in. but this is not about that its about the police
Expert:  Clare replied 2 months ago.

You have already complained to the Senior Station Officer in writing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I made an official complaint via the PCC we were invited to the station and spoke to a rather PC and we compained in writing about that we were then invited to the station to speak with the Sgt who said someone had to leave and that someone was you. We said we weren't happy but he said he would write is report to that effect we have heard nothing since then over one month ago
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
rather rude PC
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This isn't working is it. The time for reply is too long and when it arrives it requires a response which also takes an age. I hope I wont be charged for this as it is a little cumbersome for a decent result
Expert:  Clare replied 2 months ago.

This is all covered by the one payment - it does take time to elicit all the information

From what you said what you wish to know about is not how to sort the house out, but what next to do in your complaint to the police.

Expert:  Clare replied 2 months ago.

You have already gone through the "local resolution" option although you have not yet received the Report.

Your next stage is to appeal to the IPC and ask them to consider both what happened AND the way that your complaint was investigated

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No thank you I d like to stop the process it is not for me thank you
Expert:  Clare replied 2 months ago.

If you have not already done so you can find the details here

Realistically however you have come face to face with the approach the police take to such Civil matters - the easiest way out and let them deal with it in the Civil Courts.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions