Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have been issued a summons as a witness in magistrates

Hi, I have been issued a summons as a witness in magistrates court, I have retracted my statement as has the victim, this is a domestic case and there was no violence but there were threats to kill, if I do not show up am I likely to be made to attend anyway?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any reply back would be helpful as I'm due in court today and very anxious about whether to attend

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
What is it you want to know? Is there a warrant or just summons?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jamie it's just a summons

If you dont turn up they could issue a warrant for your arrest to attend Court. This does not happen very often, probably less than 5% of cases.

So no, you dont have to turn up. But remember next time when you call the Police the complaint is not in your control. If you dont want to pursue it you should not call the Police.

But you do not have to attend.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not call the police in the first place and I am a witness I was just concerned I may get in trouble for not attending but if it is less than 5% it seems safe not to attend shall i assume?

Yes you could have a warrant issued. But it is unlikely to happen

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Worst case being I have to attend a different day?

Yes.

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does thank you for your replies

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The court has called and left a voicemail does this mean I will be made to attend?

No...... Just seeing where you are.