Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I leased out my commercial premises from may this year - its

i leased out my commercial premises from may this year - its a 2 year lease and finishes in 2018. i have told my tenant that i may sell this property but he does not need to worry as i will be selling it as a sitting tenant and his lease will not get affected. last week he asked for the lease to be extended and i said yes i could do that - he has now called me and said he is going to leave the premises in 2 weeks time as he doesn't want a new landlord ! i have told him he is bound in this lease and he cannot do that - but he thinks he's within his rights to do so. since he took the lease he has done nothing but moan about the high rent [which we then reduced for a few months to help him] then he was trying to sell the lease and he's done nothing but give me grief. Am i within my rights to write to him and state he is bound in the lease ? i was thinking of negotiating with him and telling him I was willing to terminate the lease in March next year - a year earlier than I should.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Yes he is bound by the lease, just because you are selling does not give him a right to terminate it (unless that provision is in the lease).

He has signed the contract, he is bound by its terms.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it says in the lease that ' nothing in this lease shall restrict the landlords ability to sell, assign, convey, or otherwise encumber the premises, subject only to the rights of the tenant under this lease' i was feeling quite threatened by him as he way saying he is getting legal advice but will not disclose who from. I think I will tell him that I will agree to terminate the lease in march 2017 and up until then he has to pay all rent/utilities/council tax etc... he's getting too aggressive for me to handle

Then you need to report any threats to the Police.

But he is bound - there is a legal contract. He can not get out of it

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thank you for your help Jamie -you've given me the answer I was looking for and I will speak to the police as well
many thanks

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!