31090051

I have written several fictional novels and in the first

I have written several fictional novels and in the first novel, one character has been loosely based on two people and two respective events that those two individuals were directly involved in. The information was reported in the national press and I have used these two incidents as inspiration in my first novel. Can you tell me where I stand with regard to possible libel on this matter.
Expert:  JGM replied 9 months ago.

There is nothing to stop you adapting real life events and inserting a fictional character who experiences those events. You can't libel a fictional character. Your work should contain the caveat that all characters are fictional and no link to any living person is intended. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your quick response which was very helpful as I was concerned about this matter. I did feel that as the information had also been reported in the national press it was already in the public domain so this would also make the changes of libel less likely. Thanks to your professional advice, I can now go ahead with publishing my books. Many thanks.