12826847

Police have seized my car a week ago and have stated it will

Police have seized my car a week ago and have stated it will be sold or crushed tomorrow as I didn't have the log book. They advised that if I could produce the new owners document and proof of purchase I would be able to get my car back. I did this today now they want the seller to appear in person with ID and where he brought the car from. Help I need my car for my children
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

How can I help with this please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are my options
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Surely if there is a new owner then it isn't your car?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am the new owner that's why I have the new owner slip and the garage I brought it from should have sent off the log book to DVLA stating I had purchased the car.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Was this vehicle seized for no insurance?

It would not normally be seized for log book issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am insured but my boyfriend was not and he was driving at the time
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. So the issue is no insurance then.

They are entitled to seize and crush the vehicle if a person is found driving without insurance.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

They used to do that all the time.

they have relented now and clearly are offering to return it to you if you can prove ownership.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

The reality though is that they are demanding the original owner confirms your ownership which is not unreasonable given that the transfer is not complete.

Unless you can get them to do so, they may well refuse to relent. They don't have to release in either circumstance so it is a matter of negotiating with them.

You can also approach the old owner. There may be liability on their part as they didn't do the transfer expeditiously so they may be keen to avoid that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a legal time frame for the disposal of my car?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

No, they can remove vehicles found to be used by uninsured drivers and dispose of them immediately.

They do not generally do that now but they can.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

no problem.

All the best.