29905560

I recently used an online service to get my logo but it does

I recently used an online service to get my logo but it does not come with the copyright. Can I apply for these and at what cost?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

What do you want to use it for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have recently set up my own business (Dog walking & Pet sitting) and would like this to be my logo
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

OK thank you, ***** ***** it with me. I am in court for the remainder of today so will prepare my advice in a while and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks for your patience. When you used the services of a third party to create a logo, then they would own the copyright of that logo as they would have been the original creator and copyright would automatically belong to them. They could of course include a licence to transfer the copyright to you as part of the service and many would do so as there would be no point to create a logo for someone if they were not going to allow them to use it afterwards, but this is entirely down to them. So the only way to release the copyright to allow you to use the logo is to get the creators to transfer the copyright to you or to issue you with a licence allowing use of their copyrighted material. You will have to approach them directly for this and negotiate a fee for this to happen – there is no other way to get the copyright and to allow use of the copyrighted logo. The cost will depend on what you and the company agree on and the transfer of the copyright (or more likely the issue of a licence allowing use) can be done between you in a formal agreement which you can draft yourselves or get a copy from the internet or get a lawyer to do it for you, but probably not necessary to save costs.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply Ben and apologies for my late reply. If they refuse to negotiate a fee for the copyright where do I stand with that? I suppose there is nothing I can do?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, sadly no here is not much you can do – they have full right to retain copyright of the logo if they wanted to and not share it with anyone else – that is their legal prerogative. So you can only get copyright with their consent and no one can force them to grant you a copyright licence or a share of the copyright.

If your original question has been answered I would be grateful if you could please quickly rate my answer by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page - it only takes a second to do and is an important part of our process. I can still answer follow up questions afterwards if needed. Thank you