F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I have a son who is 35. He lives separately, and is now

I have a son who is 35. He lives separately, and is now asking me to legally separate from me - he wants to have a legal document that he is no longer considered my son and I will not be considered his mother. Obviously I can not write all the details in one message. I am looking for advise and assistance. Thank you. Slava
Expert:  F E Smith replied 10 months ago.

Unfortunately, (or fortunately, depending on which side of the fence you sit) it is not possible for parents to “divorce” themselves from their children nor is it possible for children to “divorce” themselves from their parents.

If children are under 18, obviously, parents can put children up for adoption but after 18, they remain children and parents for ever.

Unfortunately for your son, is now stuck with you. He can demand what he likes, and even if you wanted to do something about it, there is nothing that you can do.

All he can do and all you can do is sever all contact.

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails after rating.

Best wishes.

FES