Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

We had a previous tenant who caused over £14,000 of damage

Hi we had a previous tenant who caused over £14,000 of damage to our flat before doing a runner, we caught up with her and went to court but kept it to below £10,000 to go to small claims to make it easier, we got a ccj against her and we had an order done so she had to go to court to prove what monies she has (she is on benefits) she has over £7,000 after all her monies have been taken into account, although the advice people that have been helping her have said that what was shown to the court was incorrect and she doesn't have enough money to pay more than £50 per month, which will take around 16 years for her to pay, she has started missing payments but we don't know what to do next as she is on benefits and has nothing worth any money, what do you suggest? thank you.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 19 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Does she own any other assets please?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
No she doesn't have any assets, thanks
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 19 days ago.

You have several options:

1) Report it to the Police for criminal damage

2) Send in bailiffs

3) Charge on any property she owns (unlikely)

4) Make her bankrupt (over £5000 debt)

5) Freeze bank account

Sadly these are the only options. The reality is though if she doesnt have any assets you have a paper Judgment and that is it. You can't get blood out of a stone.

If the circumstances change then you can review the decision, but as it stands there is not much you can do.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor